Monday, February 29, 2016

Day 2: Not All Who Wander Are Lost


I have complete and utter "wanderlust". If you know anything about me is that I will spend my last cent on going on a vacation and enjoying myself even if it means weeks of eating ramen and clipping coupons. I love to travel. I think it has always been part of me since my parents always took me on vacation, we'd go everywhere. From traveling in a Peugeot in France, to that yacht turned ferry trip in Cancun, to our family vacations in California, to that very remarkable trip to my father's native land of Costa Rica. My fondest memories of my family have always been traveling, getting to the airport late, dealing with luggage, long road trips that included spontaneous singing. 

The worst part of being broke was not being able to travel or take a vacation. Now that I have a job, I long for exciting weekends to somewhere new, even if it is Wisconsin Dells. I open up my vacation forecaster, Expedia, Airbnb, Groupon, Travelzoo and every other bargain tool to make sure I'm getting the best deal possible.  

As an "adult", yes I'll continue to put that in quotes my trips have included: a cruise to Cozumel, birthday weekend in Las Vegas, Oktoberfest in Hill Country (Fredericksburg), Wisconsin Dells, Madison/Milwaukee Weekends, and Universal Studios and Disney World, I'll also the handful of times that we've gone to Del Rio or I've gone home for Christmas as (adult vacations). 

I love these experiences and Nick and I have tons of memories from our little excursions. Even if our trips are only 2 days long we make the best of it. Sometimes the best part of the trip for me isn't so much the trip itself but the actual planning it. 

I love getting wrapped up in logistics of it all. The comparing flights, hotels, tickets, excursions. I really "hack" and "win" every trip we go to. It's almost a hobby, hell, I'll call it a hobby. Being a bargain hunter travel agent is hard work but someone has to do it if you plan on going out of town and experiencing the world.


After, ranting about my need to travel, I want to share why we must travel even if we're broke. A trip will spark something inside you to feel free, to try new things, to take an adventure. When you are in rut the best thing to do is break free. Even if that "breaking free" is getting on Expedia and looking at travel deals, do it. The best thing about traveling is getting out of your environment and out of your routine and enjoying the place where you are in. I know sometimes its not fiscally sound to go out and spend a lot of money on a trip but the benefits you reap from giving yourself are so rewarding. 

And to all those couples or single people that have figured out how to save enough money for a year to take those beautiful vacations around the world i commend you. One day, I too will figure out how to travel and blog and share my experiences. For now, I will continue bargain hunting for trips, planning for future adventures and never settling down because why sit still when we can experience this beautiful planet. 




No comments:

Post a Comment